Sunday, July 13, 2008

Movies keep me going

You guessed it. I haven't been posting since my life is boring, uninteresting and dull. I know, those are synonyms, but it makes the line longer and, hopefully, gives it more impact... Yep.

The only fun and rewarding thing that I have been doing lately, is going to the movies. Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Kung Fu Panda, Get Smart, and (above all) Wall-E. This last movie gave me a nervous breakdown at the end. It made me remember that I chose to study Computer Systems because I dreamed of working at Pixar. Instead of that, I'm working at a fucking bank, one that treats people as recyclable objects or "resources". Pixar is still doing magic. And it's doing it without my help.

I simply don't know what to do. My job is boring, but the worst thing is that I'm learning absolutely nothing. It's more than obvious that I just don't enjoy being a Software Engineer, but here I'm getting worse at it every day.

Should I leave? Should I look for another job in Software? (risking to do the exact same thing but a two hour drive away). Should I look for projects on my own? Should I keep trying to get a job in production, earning nothing/almost nothing?

I'll probably stay in the bank till I rot...

There, I posted something. You asked for it!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, I think we can't expect to have everything at the very same moment... I mean, I'd love to have all that time to go and watch a movie. I think I missed The Incredible Hulk and will have to wait for the DVD. Life is about those little pleasures that we have to learn to enjoy. Reading is something that keeps me going when it seems that "It Sucks to Be Me." Writing does the magic, too. Maybe you should write in this blog about every single event that sucks in your job. At least that way you'd have a "Purpose" no matter how disappointing your job may be. Remember that "There's a Fine, Fine Line" between boredom and creativity. Sometimes, "I Wish I Could Go Back To College" and have those study sessions we used to enjoy, but life has changed and I think I should change my perception about life, too.

Finally, I'd like to finish my comment with some lines from a musical I'd love to watch: Avenue Q.

Don't stress,
Relax,
Let life roll off you backs.
Except for death and paying taxes,
Everything in life is only for now!

PoNCh said...

Thanks, as always, for your great comment, Inge. It made me laugh like crazy :)

I really hope "Fantasies Come True"...

Anonymous said...

great, great post. Thanks for sharing!

Now, start a life plan... Something like (I am not an authority, but for some reason surrounded by many people in much worse situation than you or me, things start to look so clear):

Short term, the bank pays for fun, but allows you to save for the next stuff. Maybe self-study of computer graphics, multimedia packages and other technologies in which you can do simple movies just for fun (what about a Club America all-time stars movie? that would be awesome!)

Medium term: cinema school or moving for a job in cinema (even as entry level software engineer for cinema?), of course helped with your project done above, for getting the job, but with some "security" saved, since you are not "rich"

Long term: go for your dream!

you are too young for allowing yourself a boring life. But a boring job is not a boring life, if you don't let yourself... Leave that for old guys like me (and I am for neither then accept boring life, and even on some boring work find a way to un-bore it)

(Note: You can easily job-hop on Software Engineering during phase A, but keeping the constraints of not affecting your medium-long term plans)

Fantasies come true, only if you don't allow yourself of being sucked by the non-fantasies.

PoNCh said...

WOW. That's some comment, hehe. It really makes me happy that you're still reading this!

As usual, I think you're absolutely right. In fact, I've already started to study a couple of things that are on my reach (Blender and stuff about VFX and video processing). The part that hasn't been happening is the saving. I've spent my way out of boredom, and that's not ideal or healthy in any way.

Thanks a lot for reading, for taking interest, and for your invaluable advice!

Unknown said...

O puedes poner un bussiness en monterrey y puedes alegrarte cada 15 dias viendo el mejor futbol de mexico, en la mejor compañia :D
Saludos!! y dont woody allan, todos en algun momento de la vida odiamos nuestro trabajo, luego mejora eso y odias otra cosa :D
jejeje...

 
Free counter and web stats